Thursday 6 August 2020

Learning how to leave a Comment Thread...

The image below shows the first comment thread to appear in our 2020 learning journey. This has been a goal of mine since hearing the SLJ feedback that our student's post to comment ratio was very unbalanced with comments being an area that was not focused on. I felt from the outset that this was not because they were lazy or disinterested, but rather because they were not sure of how to do this. After all if you don't know, you don't know.



In my now weekly focus group meet up, I used the whiteboard to show my learners what a comment thread looked like, unpacked the process and identified the purpose. Explicit teaching, think alouds to promote co-construction opportunities and modelling of the task was very much the order of the day. 

Creating a comment thread is this week's blogging challenge. As a group we decided that a 6 comment thread would be achievable so that became the benchmark. Each person was buddied up by me so that when thinking about ability and confidence levels we created a tuakana teina relationship. To meet the challenge each pair needed to write quality blog comments on each other's blogs in order to have a learning conversation that allowed them to revisit and strengthen their connections to the learning. The choice of blog post was left up to the individual.

I look forward to seeing how this evolves and am curious as to what support my learners will need from me in order to sustain this momentum.

No comments:

Post a Comment