Tuesday 26 May 2020

TAI 2020 WFRC #6: How I will use the data...

Explain how some of the data you have used to build a profile of the students’ learning will be used as baseline data at the end of the year.

By creating a Historical Data Pathway that reflects student achievement in the three main assessment areas of our cluster wide standardised testing, I have been able to form a clear picture of my target student's learning achievement for the last three years. What I found interesting here was that whilst many students have continued to progress upwards, a few seemed to peak in Year 5 but have not maintained this level. Possibly because there are disconnects between what they are being asked to do and their confidence in using their knowledge of content specific language that they bring to the challenge. The end of year data will give me the opportunity to look closely at the shifts between the two time points to see if increased opportunities to use and transfer content specific language has made an impact on student achievement. 

When I analysed the blog comments over the last 2 years I noticed that most students were not replying to comments received. I wanted to explore this further so I met with my target group on Google Meet. We had an open and honest discussion, and used this collaborative DLO to capture time point 1 student voice and establish the group's understanding of how to write a quality blog comment. I will repurpose this DLO at the end of the year to see if there have been shifts in attitude, understanding and the quality of content of their commenting skills.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Robyn

    Thank you for sharing this. That was a lot of effort to co-construct this DLO with your target students. I immediately saw the connections between this evidence and the hypotheses that you formed in the next blog post. I was wondering whether you already have any kind of short summary of these students attitudes and understanding at time point one? Or you plan to compare and write a summary when you redo the DLO at the end of the year? Thanks. Love the way you present the data.

    Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allen

    Thank you for your positive feedback. I have been gathering student voice this term so that I will have time point one and time point two data to compare. My initial picture was captured before we began our blog commenting journey during lockdown and gave me a great baseline picture. After reading your comment I decided to capture another picture after 7 weeks in the classroom as this would have been the what I would have done in a normal situation. An online picture is quite different to one captured face to face. I have created an additional post to reflect my students current attitudes and understandings linked to my inquiry.
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete