Friday 24 April 2020

Distance learning with LS2... Week 2

This week has been a very busy week for LS2 as far as distance learning is concerned. My amazing students have created a wide variety of DLOs that showcase their understanding of the tasks as they keep their learning going. Each day Linda (TA), myself and the students come together as a class to set ourselves up for the day, celebrate achievements and share work. Having Linda join us has been a real blessing as the students see both their teachers everyday, and whilst I have been kept really busy marking the work she has been kept equally as busy commenting on blogs. Teamwork at it's best!

In these sessions I have been asking my students to present their work as it helps us to continue to learn with and from each other. What's lovely to hear is the feedback they give each other after the presentations. LS2 has always been a collaborative learning environment, but what has impressed me is that despite being in their own family bubbles, many have kept this collaboration going. I'm enjoying reading the conversations taking part in the comments section of DLO's, and on many occasions I've joined in to give feedback. 



Florence presenting her timelapse movie showing the process she went through to make her poppy wreath. 

We have had to iron out a few areas and set very clear expectations as far as avoiding the temptation to simply click 'resolve' when I leave feedback. After talking everyone through this, especially my new learners, there has been some very rich learning conversations taking place and I now have a wealth of evidence to feed forward into my future planning. 

Another area we needed to revisit was the need to make sure all work was filed in the correct folders in our google drives. We also run a 'completed work' spreadsheet where links to completed work are posted. We've had a few hiccups here with work that isn't filed being linked as I can't access it correctly. However, when I think that these have been our only glitches so far, I can honestly say LS2 have been fully engaged in their distance learning.

When I think about my own learning this week I have definitely strengthened my skills when it comes to explaining things, with step by step snapshots of a process and emailing them to the person who needs this support being a great go-to if Google Meets are not an option. I have also noticed that my instructions are definitely a lot clearer and more succinct. My biggest success has been when Linda and I used a Google Meet to guide a student who had prior to lockdown, only been at our school 3 days, with how to post a variety of DLOs on her blog. This student came to us from overseas and had never used Google Docs before so each step of our distance learning has been new for her. What I have loved is that she asks questions and whether these have been answered in our Google Meets, by emails sent to me or to her friends, or by both of us working on her DLO at the same time her initiative has meant she has found a huge amount of success. 



Year 8 working with Mr Grundy

This morning we had our LS2 catch up then went off to Tech with Mr Grundy and Ms Ferguson at Tamaki College. After Tech we tuned in for our first Panmure Bridge School livestream assembly. This was such a great way to end our learning week as Mr Johnston was able to present virtual certificates to students who are making a huge effort to keep their learning going from home. Richard, Kiri and Anna this was a huge success and an extremely awesome way for all our PBS family to stay connected.



3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Robyn, harnessing the connections via Google Meet to empower your learners to respond to each others learning is powerful. An awesome opportunity to focus on Being Cybersmart, practise Smart Relationships and strengthening positive online connections. Watched the PBS assembly too... awesome!
    All the best,
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona, it sure has been. Our biggest celebration goes to one student who had arrived in NZ 5 days before lockdown, and LS2 3 days before. She had never used g-suite or blogs before so all her digital learning has been done through distance learning. I've added her to the Tuhi Mai Tuhi Atu Shout Out because what she has achieved is truely amazing.

      Delete
  2. Kia ora Robyn, I really enjoyed this reflection. I remember being frustrated by students resolving comments too! Teacher Dashboard has been invaluable for me to see student work that hasn't been filed and to start a discussion around organisation. It's great to hear that you've developed your explanations. I had similar success with a learner completing their first blog post using a simple one minute video explanation. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete