This is what I did/said to help my learners make the connections they needed to make sense of the learning:
- Recap learning from last session
- Check in to see if understanding is in place
- Co-construct the learning intention (LI) and goals for the lesson
- Asked the students "What do you need to do today to achieve this?"
- Gave students control of the learning by giving them the opportunity to choose the follow up activity
- Asked "Why are we doing this?" to recap on the purpose of the learning
- Reinforced the focus/goal as a reminder
- Modelled the learning
- Guided/scaffolded students towards next step
- Checked in to make sure understanding was in place
- Identified where they had met the LI
- Reaffirmed "I like the way you have used the commas correctly, we learnt that yesterday and this shows me you were listening carefully"
- Asked "Can you remind me what we were focussing on today?"
From this I can see that I share control of the learning with my students, continually check that connections are being made, scaffold through questioning and teacher modelling, and reaffirm to ensure self efficacy and confidence continues to grow.