Monday 4 March 2019

Up-skilling and Empowering...

During this week's art lesson I noticed that a large number of my students did not appear to know how to blend colours. Wanting to make sure I taught these skills effectively and properly I reached out to Karen Ferguson for some guidance. I recalled her blogpost about her media experiments, the exact support I was after. What I wasn't aware of was that my class who are currently in Karen's tech group had asked to learn the exact same skills. As always Karen was more than happy to help out. So armed with my notebook I seized the opportunity for my own PD (I was focusing on Karen's language of instruction) and joined in with the learning. 




The students were so focused and extremely proud of the pictures they produced. From my perspective I now had a group of experts so I capitalised on this opportunity and asked them to share their learning. The success these students had experienced in their learning this morning empowered them to confidently support their peers to master the same skills. 

Each of these students rose to the challenge of being the teacher. I noticed that my 'experts' were modelling what they wanted their group to replicate, they were using the content language accurately and their instructions were clear and concise as you can see in the picture below. 








2 comments:

  1. They must have used the language and explanation really well. Their students have made a fantastic job with the media skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen
      The follow up lesson was fantastic! Our 'experts' really stepped up. Their instructions were clear, concise and they were using the vocabulary you taught them in the morning. Thank you so much for your help :)

      Delete