Tuesday 16 April 2019

WFRC #4: Building an accurate profile of students' learning - tools, measures and approaches...

Describe the tools/measures/approaches you plan to use to get a more detailed and accurate profile of students’ learning in relation to that challenge. Justify why you chose these approaches and tools.




My hunch is that some issues with my students’ math achievement are related to issues they have with reading instructions and tasks. The students in my class who achieved higher scores in the PAT reading, STAR and Probe running record assessments also achieved higher scores in the PAT maths and IKAN assessments. My target group's data showed the exact opposite. With the exception of student B2 who scored slightly higher in the maths assessments than the reading assessments. The tools/measures/approaches I plan to use are:



PAT/STAR/Probe/IKAN Assessments:
  • Analysing these results gives me a clear picture of what my students can do and where our knowledge gaps are. I use these results to inform my planning. This year I have been looking closely at the vocabulary used in the questions, and will be incorporating this into my lessons so that connections can be made to what these words are asking my learners to do. With my inquiry in mind I need to introduce, unpack and use the words: calculate, recognise, identify, find, plot, solve, estimate, visualise, interpret, percentage, fraction, proportion, decimal

Student Voice:
  • Gathering student voice is a vital part of teaching so at the end of the term I asked all my students to complete our T1 evaluation using a google form questionnaire. I find this type of evaluation really useful as it gives me an insight into their honest responses, and not responses influenced by what their friends are saying. With my inquiry in mind I asked my learners what they enjoyed in writing, reading and maths to give me an insight into how I can capitalise on learning where student self efficacy is high as this shows me which teaching approaches were a success. Additionally I asked if there was anything they still needed help with in these learning areas. This information quickly shows me where student self efficacy is lower, and most importantly informs my planning.

Check in chats:
  • I have been focussing on building student self efficacy this term so each week I have a 'check in chat' with all my instructional groups. I have found this really useful as I get immediate feedback and am able to see quickly where confidence levels are lower. During this time I give each of my students a vivid and give them 2 'teacher' minutes to write down any questions they may have, or any words they don't understand. This part is proving to be successful as I don't intervene (unless asked), and it is all done anonymously. I have noticed during this time that

Feedback:
  • Continue to use the comments tool in G suite so my learners can see where I notice their success (this is something these students have told me they want to know), and can ask me questions or let me know if I need to spend some 1:1 time strengthening knowledge gaps. For this tool to be successful I need to allow time for my learners to reply to my comments. My target students still need support in doing this and I have found if they write their replies with scaffolding from our teacher aid or from each other, they are more likely to give me an honest response, rather than a response they think I want to read.

Peer to peer talk:
  • Peer to peer talk is a huge part of our learning time as it provides authentic opportunities for new words to be used in context. I noticed my learners also used this time to seek clarification from each other so I have added in a 'fun' component of timed challenges to share knowledge with a partner.

Instructional lessons:
  • Planning opportunities for time to unpack new vocabulary or revisit known vocabulary is embedded into all lessons and gives us an opportunity to focus and notice the words that help us make sense of the learning.

Spring into Maths/Rainbow Reading:
  • At our school these groups are run as withdrawal groups. They provide the students who attend opportunities to grow confidence and strengthen their connections to the learning in a supportive small group environment. The teacher who runs these sessions aligns her programs with the planning on our sites.
Lesson format:
  • I adapted my lesson formats so that regardless of curriculum area, the structure is the same. This will help to ensure I am actively planning time to introduce and unpack new vocabulary and/or revisit known vocabulary; actively planning 'fun' warm up challenges to strengthen skills/strategies/knowledge; and actively planning time for talk so the language can be defined/used/explored in context. By doing this I am hoping that my learners will see that the language of instruction we use in one area can be transferred to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment