Wednesday 28 August 2019

Spring Into Maths...

Yesterday I had the opportunity to observe Karen, one of our amazing teacher aides, taking a Spring Into Maths session with three of my students who are part of her withdrawal group. What stuck with me the most was the atmosphere in the room. My students were smiling throughout and confidently offering answers to questions, even when they weren't sure of the answer. The latter is something I see happening in the classroom only when they are confident their response is correct. The self efficacy I saw is something I really hope can be transferred back to the classroom.

Spring Into Maths is an intervention program used to provide extra support in number knowledge and strategies for students with knowledge gaps in maths. It is not new to me as I have incorporated this programme into my maths lessons on numerous occasions over the years, however is not something I have been running formally in my maths programme this year. I asked these students what they liked the most about being part of this maths group. Here are their responses:

  • JA -  'The games Miss because we can challenge each other in a fun way.'
  • AK - 'I like the number challenges because we can try and get a better score than what we got last time. It shows that we know stuff.'
  • SB - 'I like being able to say my answer and I don't feel shy because there's only three of us and I really like the games.'
Going forward I am going to rework my maths programme to incorporate the hands on elements of Spring Into Maths into our maths sessions. I saw first hand how powerful being able to manipulate materials is, and see this as another way stronger connections can be made to the knowledge my learners need to be able to operate confidently in a mathematical capacity. 
Image result for number knowledge

I began this morning's lesson by explaining the changes I wanted to make to our maths learning time, and as I wanted buy-in from everyone we spent today's session playing the huge amount of number knowledge games that had been most definitely underused in my class this year. The buzz of noise meant this was most definitely not a quiet lesson, and like yesterday all I saw were smiling faces, engaged learners and some outstanding collaboration as they negotiated their answers. 

I'm looking forward to see if this change can help all my students see that they can recall and use their number knowledge skills confidently at speed.

1 comment:

  1. Sharon Middleton29 August 2019 at 16:30

    Hi Robyn,

    Had a great collaborative conversation about our Maths programs. Really appreciate the sharing and looking forward to being able to reciprocate. Will always acknowledge the source as I appreciate all the effort and work you put into creating your incredible resources!
    Kind Regards

    Sharon Middleton

    ReplyDelete