Tuesday 25 February 2020

Maths PD 2020 #2

Today I had a 1:1 professional development session with Marie Hirst, our maths facilitator. I found this really worthwhile as the session was specific to my class. I had asked for support with the teaching my students how to find the most efficient method for answering questions involving decimals.

We began by co-constructing the lesson that Marie modelled. I found this process really useful as it highlighted the gaps in my own content knowledge. The planning formats shared helped me to see how I could help my learners strengthen their own connections to any maths topic. I then observed Marie's lesson and noticed different ways to use both materials and questioning strategies. Afterwards we had a debrief which gave me the opportunity to for both clarity and confirmation.

Here is the link to the notes I took today.




A great idea to share is to have the question prewritten in modelling book without specific numbers (these are added later with post it notes) as this encourages the students to use the maths language to decide what it is they are being asked to do before they are introduced to the numbers they need to manipulate.

No comments:

Post a Comment