Monday 20 May 2019

WFRC #6: Describe your process for developing hypotheses...

When developing the hunch for my inquiry that some issues with my students’ math achievement could be related to issues they have with reading instructions and tasks, I reflected on their achievement data and the learning behaviours I observed. Explained in this post. After our last COL meeting we were challenged by Dr Aaron Wilson to think about the patterns in our teaching that could be changed to more effectively address the student learning focus. It’s quite challenging to take a forensic look at yourself but if I am going to help my students find success as a result of my inquiry, I need to reflect on my own planning and practice to ensure my students have the opportunities they need to confidently and independently dive deeply into their learning.

Talking to colleagues, listening to my students, following blogs, participating in professional development, making time for professional reading and observing others help me to ensure my teaching is continually evolving. One idea identified by Woolf Fisher’s research into our teaching inquiries is that new knowledge is needed in an area to effect change. This was the statement that helped me to think about where and how I could make changes in my own teaching practice because if I am to effect change, I need to not only listen to feedback suggestions from observations and research findings, but need to also act upon them.

Professional Reading:


Learning to Learn in a Second Language - Pauline Gibbons
Scaffolding Language Scaffolding Learning - Pauline Gibbons
Reading: The Four Resource Model Freebody and Luke (1990) - Literacy practises in subject areas
Teaching Reading Comprehension (2nd edition) - Alison Davis
Building Comprehension Strategies - Alison Davis
Effective Teaching: What’s happening in my Child’s Classroom
10 Effective Ways of Improving Reading Comprehension in your Learners
Why Reading Comprehension in the Content Areas is so Important
What research tells us about Reading, Comprehension and Comprehension Instruction

No comments:

Post a Comment