Monday 20 May 2019

WFRC #8: For each of your hypotheses, explain how you will test it and what evidence would support (or refute) that hypothesis...

Hypothesis 1:

Am I accessing my whole teaching kete or just using the recently added ideas and strategies nearest the top?

Creating a table to explore which strategies I used last term, am currently using, and have planned to use this term will challenge me to see if I am tapping into a wide range of strategies or if I’m relying on a small number of tried and tested go-to’s. To measure this I will need to repeat the process at the end of this term when I am planning for Term 3 and again when I am planning for Term 4.

Hypothesis 2/Hypothesis 4/Hypothesis 5:
  • Is my instruction really explicit or do I just think it is?
  • Is my expectation of my students high enough or am I scaffolding my students too much?
  • Am I helping my students to see the connections how the strategies we use to make meaning in reading can be used to make meaning in maths and writing?

To measure these hypotheses I will use our school observation process. A pre-observation focus conversation is held to discuss what focus the observer should be looking for in the teaching and learning, this is linked explicitly to our inquiry. Then an observation is undertaken with notes being made about the explicit acts of teaching being observed. The students were then interviewed and asked questions linked to the focus and the learning and how the teacher had ‘helped’ them in the session. This is followed up with a collegial conversation about the teaching and learning, why particular strategies were used, and what the intended outcome for students would be following on from this. Also, what next steps could be implemented, and how the school could support this. Kiri’s suggestion following on from observation one is that next time we video the session to strengthen our opportunities to focus and notice, on teaching strategies used. 

This will give me multiple data points as our observation timetable means we are observed once a term.


Hypothesis 3:
What am I doing to grow my student’s self efficacy?

This will continue to be measured at the end of each term when I capture student voice through our term evaluations. My blog previous blog post reflects the term 1 data that will allow for comparisons to be made as the year progresses.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Robyn

    I like your idea for testing Hypothesis #1. I imagine if you used a spreadsheet, coded strategies, situations, and their effects, you might end up with a great resource for finding out the best strategies for certain situations.

    ReplyDelete