Tuesday 2 July 2019

Connecting to maths language...

'Imagine a teacher running her hands across her desk as she tells her students, “A plane is a perfectly flat surface.” The students listen quietly, but one of them is thinking, “I thought a plane was something that flies.' Rubenstein and Thompson, 'Understanding and Supporting Children’s Mathematical Vocabulary Development' (p107, 2002). 




This is the type challenge many of my learners face everyday. Donna Yates shared this article with me after visiting LS2, along with a great idea to help us strengthen our connections to the maths language we encounter when reading and trying to make sense of written maths questions. Rather than reinventing the wheel I used this exact example to show my learners how confusing maths language can be, and gave us an authentic purpose the challenge that followed.

I find that when my learners collaborate and have the opportunity to talk about their tasks they gain a clearer understanding, so this is how we approached this challenge. There was a lot of negotiation and rich discussion as the vocabulary was manipulated into the corresponding columns. Donna is happy for me to share the link to this task which can be found here.

Going forward I will be tapping into the TESOL strategy of repetition without boring. If I want my learners to forge strong connections with the vocabulary they need to be successful in maths I know I need to provide multiple opportunities for these students to hear the words, see the words and use the words in context.

No comments:

Post a Comment