Tuesday 23 July 2019

Critical friends are awesome!...

Last term I videoed myself taking the maths lesson I blogged about in my previous post. The purpose behind this lesson was help my students to grow their maths language, and the purpose for my video was so I could see the explicit teaching strategies I use in a maths lesson. It's always a challenge to critique your own practice as there is no opportunity for the conversations that can affect change through both affirmation and guidance. I invited Donna Ryan, one of our Across School CoL teachers, to be my critical friend. Together we reviewed this lesson and identified the strategies I use to help my learners strengthen their connections to and make sense of our learning.

When introducing new learning valuing the power of front loading helps our learners avoid disconnects between what they already know and what they are about to learn. I captured 14 minutes 36 seconds of footage, with 6 minutes 55 seconds at the start given to helping my learners make the very important personal connections to the content they need if they are to be able to draw on and use their prior knowledge to help them make sense of new learning.

During this time we noticed I:

  • use teacher think alouds to capture interest and evoke curiosity
  • provide opportunities for paired discussion to make connections to the known, reflect on responses given, use the language in context and problem solve
  • value and accept all responses
  • share my own knowledge gaps and how I might fill these
  • value students as experts
  • ask questions
  • use teacher tell opportunities when scaffolding with materials and images
  • share the purpose of task
  • remind/prompt known scaffold opportunities
  • question
  • give feedback
  • initiate opportunities for negotiation
  • remind students to value their own thinking
  • revisit the same content in a variety of ways
  • invite my learners to take risks in a supportive and collaborative environment
  • give clear explanations
  • use content vocabulary in context

On reflection I am quite surprised how many ways I find opportunities to help a wide variety of students make connections within a lesson. This was really affirming as it proves I know my learners, something that is vital to effective teaching, as one size really does not fit all.

Going forward I will definitely be making use of Donna's suggestion to include more opportunities for my focus group to practise using and hearing maths language in other learning areas 
to help them see that maths is not just something we do at maths time. I have asked Donna to come back later in the term to repeat this process so we can see if I have been successful in providing opportunities for practical challenges that bring maths language and learning into our Reading and STEAM lessons. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Robyn for allowing me to visit and review your video. It is always so valuable to talk through ideas and strategies with a colleague. I was so impressed with the buzz of quality learning conversations happening in the class between students and individual students being about to verbalise their understanding of maths vocab and concepts when we asked them randomly today.
    I look forward to visiting again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again for your help Donna. Having a 'critical friend' you trust and value is really important when it comes to having discussions that not only help to effect change in student achievement but also change in teacher practice.

      Delete
  2. Kia ora Robyn, This is an excellent example of monitoring your practice and it was a great idea to engage a critical friend to work with you. Had you considered providing snippets from the audio/video of what you said or did to support and illustrate your list of noticings? For example, what did you say to remind students to value their own thinking or how did you share your own knowledge gaps and how you may fill these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hana
      Thank you for your feedback. I have planned to rewatch this footage with Donna so we can record what I do to support my learners, then compare it to additional footage taken in other curriculum areas to identify what it is that I am saying and doing, and how my learners are responding.

      Delete