Saturday 25 April 2020

Cybersmart Observation...

Edit: This observation took place in February 2020

Over the summer period my class took part in the Summer Learning Journey. As a school we did extremely well as far as participation and output, but dropped the ball as far as commenting was concerned. Our students actively commented on the blogs of other participants but did not comment in a way that created a thread of comments. I didn't know how to strengthen this understanding so I asked Heather Collins, one of our Manaiakalani facilitators to model a Cybersmart lesson for me. We have access to a wealth of Cybersmart resources but as someone who has been a part of Manaiakalani from the beginning I have not had the opportunity to observe one of these lessons first hand. 

Here are the notes I took:
  • Begin by stating the purpose of the lesson (- this linked to the reasons I have mentioned above)
  • State the Learning Intention - LI: To create a thread of comments
  • Display the 'Quality Blog Comments Poster' and unpack
  • Ask students to generate sentence starters for 'compliments'
  • Model how to write a quality blog comment using a student blog post (promotes a connection)
  • Explain that a question has been asked so now needs a reply.
  • Ask: How might you reply to this comment?
  • Co-construct a reply

Where to next:
  • Actively plan time for students to comment on blogs and respond to comments on their own blogs.
  • Revisit the Manaiakalani cybersmart lessons to access the resources available. The shared language of instruction will help my learners to continue to build on and strengthen the knowledge they have, and will scaffold and support my students new to Manaiakalani this year.
  • Make a display that reflects our unpacking and understanding of how to write a quality blog comment - make it visible - keep it visible.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Robyn, here's my blog reflection...

    Back in February when I was at Panmure Bridge School I was asked by Robyn Anderson if I could deliver a Cybersmart lesson about blog commenting and threading. As one of the Manaiakalani summer learning journey commenters I had noticed that PBS were VERY active in their participation but lacked somewhat in their comment threading and therefore (in my opinion) had not fulfilled their potential and capacity in the programme which addressing the "summer drop off".

    I regularly support x3 classes at PBS and have a great professional connection with Robyn from when I was an in-school-CoL teacher whilst A.P at my previous school. On this occasion one of my classes had been cancelled last minute, so over morning-tea Robyn asked if I could address her Y7/8 class to deep dive with them as to how and why this next step of blogging and commenting was SO important and valuable...

    My intention is to check in with them in July, and then again in December, to see how their "threading" progress is developing and to realign any issues that have arisen. This should then (in theory) place the students in an exceptional position for the SLJ 2020 and allow them to retain the Manaiakalani crown of 'top school' with a firmer foundation and greater understanding of blog commenting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather

      This was such a valuable lesson for both myself and my learners. As one of the 'original' Manaiakalani people I no longer get the opportunity to observe someone else teaching and modelling the cybersmart lessons. I have definitely taken onboard a lot of what I saw you doing and have often referred back to this lesson as it is something we can all connect to. We had a new student begin in LS2 three days before lockdown and I have been able to help her with her blogging and commenting online by following the ideas and resources you shared with me. I totally agree we have a great professional connection and I'm looking forward to touching base with you about this again.

      Robyn

      Delete