Tuesday 21 April 2020

Meet my focus students...



The best way to understand the students I am working with is to paint a picture with numbers. Last year I learnt that creating a historical data pathway would give me a much clearer picture of my learners, so I have taken this learning and repeated the process. In reality I have only worked with these students for seven weeks due to the Level 4 lockdown but in that time I have gained an insight of their personalities and working styles. 

Through capturing this picture of historical data I have come to understand that 4/6 students have continually achieved the top scores across the curriculum in their cohort data. This is reflected in their classroom interactions, willingness to begin work straight away, ask questions and their ability to naturally assume a leadership role. 2/6 students appear to find maths and writing a challenge, but are working at their chronological age in reading. The latter two students on the other hand shy away from leadership but always contribute actively to the learning conversations in group challenges. These girls do not like having the responsibility of deciding the direction their group will go in, but once given direction from their peers, confidently carry out their roles. They like to work in a more supportive environment with teacher or teacher aid support to get started. I have come to understand that this is where they feel most confident asking the questions they need to ask in order to make a stronger connection to the learning. This data has answered a few questions I had with these two learners. Both are popular and confident when interacting with others, both work well in any group they are put in, but neither like to share their ideas in the wider class forum, and neither want anyone to know they need a bit more support.

As mentioned in a pervious post... 'For the last 5 years Panmure Bridge School has claimed the Summer Learning Journey's overall prize for top blogging school, something we are extremely proud of and value highly. However this year the feedback from the SLJ team was that our participants had strengths in blogging, however, seemed to drop the ball when it came to the commenting component. Many of our learners either overlooked responding to comments made on their blogs, or simply replied with a thank you. 

With my inquiry focus to explore if strengthening connections to Smart Relationships will help my learners to understand and use content specific language and vocabulary in context, I have selected this group as all 6/6 students are active bloggers, all participated successfully in the SLJ, with 3/6 receiving prizes for their efforts; but none replied to comments with anything other than a 'thank you'.

No comments:

Post a Comment