Sunday 8 May 2022

What my learners took from this...

                                       

                                                Click here to access the presentation


After completing the Reading for Enjoyment survey I discussed in this post I asked my learners to look at what the data was telling us. In a nutshell our reading survey became our maths focus. My learners worked in pairs to carry out this statistical inquiry. I have found that when the data has a purpose my learners make a stronger connection to both the statistical inquiry process and the content.


Their challenge was to think of a summary, comparison or relationship question to investigate linked to our LS2 Reading for Enjoyment data. The next step was to collate the data using a tally chart, then choose appropriate graph to analyse and communicate findings in context. After doing this my learners were asked to create a DLO that reflected their investigations, findings and analysis.

These DLOs were then posted on our blogs with an explanation of the task and something they found interesting. Click on the links below to see how my learners interpreted the data and the solutions they came up with to help change attitudes towards reading for enjoyment. What you will notice in these posts is my learners are experimenting with content specific language. 

O'Ninesha's blog

Koura Beau's blog

Farzana's blog

Bella's blog

David's blog

I was really impressed with their possible solutions. Click on the blog links above to see what they came up with. These were derived during planned opportunities for learning discussions to take place. To enable more talk to take place we used the 'think - pair - share' strategy. 


Moving forward as a class we have introduced a reading challenge that we will be working on during our new RFE (Reading For Enjoyment) slot in our timetable. We also aim to read for 20 minutes everyday. This is not timetabled as my learners have asked me to set a random timer each morning on my phone. The idea being that when the timer goes off we all (Students and teachers) stop and read for 20 minutes. I'm looking forward to this as my learners aren't the only ones who see this as a fun way to increase our reading mileage. In addition we have a short RFE library slot on a Friday afternoon to set us up for reading over the weekend. The response activities were designed by the class. This will hopefully strengthen the buy in and allow my learners to see that reading for enjoyment is not only important but also fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment