Sunday 21 August 2022

How Maths helped my students see their true RFE picture...

Giving my students and authentic purpose to carry out a statistical inquiry strengthens their connections to the task as a whole. This year we have been trying to increase the time we spend reading for enjoyment (RFE). After chatting with Fiona about my inquiry I realised I needed to be regularly monitoring my intervention so that I had concrete data to allow me to measure shifts over smaller periods of time. 

I wanted to find out:

  • How much time do you RFE each week?
  • What time we are reading?
  • Where we read?
The Process:


I found out:


To allow me to gather a fair picture of the time spent RFE I used the data from the 22 students who were present at school for the time period 30/7 - 12/8. This meant that my data was clean as it put everyone on an even playing field as no one had extra time to read, or missed the opportunities that were given in class to read.

From the data I collected I can see that evenings are the most popular time for reading for enjoyment in LS2, with bedrooms being the preferred space. When we unpacked this further I found out that this is the time of day when chores are done, younger siblings are in bed and RFE is used to get some downtime in a quiet space. What I didn't include in this data was that 7/22 students choose to RFE on a rainy day. 

Hours spent RFE increased by 129 hours from 143 hours in week 1 to 273 hours in week 2. This is probably a direct result of our focus on RFE. I can see from data not included that the students who were absent during this measurement period, RFE was not something that is embedded in the reading habits of my students. The overall data paints a good picture as shift did occur. My goal now is to explore ways I can keep this momentum going.

No comments:

Post a Comment