Wednesday 25 July 2018

T1/T2 Comparison of what success in writing look like through the eyes of my learners...

This year I have been focusing on building student self efficacy in writing. Why? Because I have a large group of reluctant writers. I know that no-one finds something they have success in boring so I have tried hard to be creative in my task design.



This DLO reflects the comparison of responses to questions I asked my target students in both Term 1 and Term 2 - (6/8 students were questioned at both checkpoint times so only these responses have been compared in this DLO). Notable changes in responses have been highlighted in yellow. I can see more content specific information emerging in their answers overall, but the part that excited me the most was that half of these target students are now seeing members of their own writing group as 'good' writers. 


Changes I have noticed in class:

Target Students:

  • settling to work more quickly
  • increased levels of confidence
  • working with a buddy is no longer the 'go to'
  • positivity towards new learning
  • increased work completion levels
  • increased levels of risk taking
  • more willing to share work with class
  • ownership of praise
  • strengthened connections to the learning


Me:
  • finding more opportunities for praise
  • increased use of learner created exemplars from this group
  • paying closer attention to explicit instruction
  • calmer voice tone
  • increased awareness of when I need to repeat/reinforce my instruction
  • increased use of content specific language 


No comments:

Post a Comment